- We identified an increase in VAST 402 errors coming from Google IMA as a result of the Chrome 91 update last week. Error rates rise when
advertising.vpaidmodeis set to insecure or is undefined, as the player's default is insecure. While the errors are not specific to JWP, we are doing everything possible to mitigate the issue and have reached out to the third parties involved to do the same. While we wait for the issue to be resolved, we are temporarily releasing a player update that forces the
vpaidmodesetting to be set to enabled for all players that set up only on Chrome 91 environments on both desktop and mobile (unless vpaidmode was already set to
disabled), which will help restore fill rates. No other browsers or Chrome versions will be affected, and this change is only for the Google IMA ad client. We are not applying this setting across the board since secure mode is known to decrease fill rates because VPAID ads that utilize Friendly iFrames will stop working. As soon as we have confirmation that the issue is resolved, we will revert this change. As such, we do not recommend customers set vpaidmode to
enabledin their own ad schedules or modify client side configurations, as this setting would be applied across browsers, whereas our workaround is specific to the affected browser and version only. Thank you for your patience and collaboration.
- Added a new configuration option to the advertising block,
omidAccessModeRules, an object, which supports passing OMID access mode rule regex to Google Ad Manager via the Google IMA ad client.
- Fixed an issue with the Google IMA ad client where post-rolls ads would not play if the playlist item also had a pre-roll that resulted in an empty ad response.
- Fixed an issue causing the audio to go out of sync on some HLS streams after a while.
- Fixed a bug causing audio in backgrounded apps to pause when a muted video is played.
- Fixed a bug causing the buffer icon to show on top of some ads when OMID is enabled.
- Fixed an issue causing unexpected increase use of memory and browser crashing on Windows operating systems with some live streams.
- Fixed a bug causing unintended seeking on iOS Safari when the viewer scrolls the page after intentionally seeking in the video.
- Fixed a bug causing the player to mute while adjusting the volume.
Studio DRM Standalone
New cluster based in Milan has been released and is serving traffic for the duration of the Euro 2020 Championship
NOTE: VUDRM was rebranded as Studio DRM following the acquisition of Vualto by JW Player in May 2021. Any remaining references to VUDRM in our documentation or in the Studio DRM Admin portal should be assumed to refer to Studio DRM.
- Fixed bugs preventing Apple Voiceover
spacecommands from working with the player.
- Fixed a bug causing accidental interaction with links and buttons beneath the player when it is floating.
- Fixed an issue preventing the email link from working in the sharing menu.
- Added support for the
requestTimeoutconfiguration option with the DAI client.
- Fixed a bug preventing a floating player with auto pause configured from pausing when the tab is backgrounded while an ad is loading.
- Fixed an issue in DAI where seeking past a mid-roll doesn't play the ad if the stream did not have a pre-roll.
- Fixed an issue causing audio-only HLS streams to infinitely buffer when the player tries to autostart muted.
- Fixed a bug preventing the buffer wheel from displaying on Tizen.
- Added an optional configuration option,
advertising.omidSupport, to control if and when our OMID verification script is loaded in the VAST client.
- "auto" (default) loads the OMID script when a parsed ad XML contains a verification node.
- "enabled" always loads the OMID script as soon as the VAST plugin is loaded.
- "disabled" prevents the OMID script from ever loading.
- Updated the default behavior of OMID script loading from "enabled" to "auto."
- Fixed a bug causing lines of subtitles to display in a very small font in fullscreen when that contained inline voice tags in the VTT file.
- Fixed issues where the player API and internal objects were not being released from memory after a player is removed.
- Fixed a bug causing the
getEnvironment().Browsermethod in Microsoft Edge to return as Chrome.
- Added support for Google IMA's OMID beta with a configuration option in the advertising object,
omidSupport. The default is "disabled", but can be used when set to "enabled".
- Improved the user experience by not automatically fullscreening the video in a floating player when an Android device is rotated.
- Updated JWP to hls.js v1.0.0, which is a major milestone in the open source HLS community.
- Fixed an issue in Android Chrome causing the player to override the stream's aspect ratio and fill the entire screen with the video rather than incur a small amount of letterboxing.
- Fixed a bug with some ad preloading configurations causing infinite buffering.
- Fixed unintended animated behavior when seeking in a muted player with Safari.
- Fixed an error causing some HLS streams to stall.
- Fixed an issue on mobile devices where floating players didn't display IMA ads properly.
- Fixed an issue causing IMA mid-roll ads to infinitely buffer.
- Improved stalling when there is significant drift from the edge of live streams.
- Fixed issues causing layout shift (CLS) when transitioning to and from the floating player.
- Fixed a bug causing buffering when seeking after any ad in iOS Safari.
- Added support for OMID ads in the VAST client. No configuration is required; the player automatically handles verification when the XML is returned.
- To the VAST client, added the
adVerificationsnode to the
adImpressionevent response, which returns the parsed content of that element in an object.
- Added a new configuration option to the advertising object,
allowedOmidVendors, which accepts an array and is supported in the VAST client. If not set or set as an empty array, all vendors can run. If set, only the resources from the listed vendors can run. All failures to run verification will be noted accordingly to the ad server.
- Made CSS changes to reduce layout shifts across the player, most notably one caused by the transition between Google IMA ads and media, but also including the control bar and icons, floating player, and tooltips.
- Fixed a longstanding issue where some VPAIDs would not play when they were the second ad in a pod using the VAST client.
- Fixed an issue causing the play event to fire after the firstFrame in live streams.
- Service related fixes to improve low latency streaming and HLS streaming in general.
- We are tracking a known Chromium bug where touch events erroneously increases a page's CLS score, such as dragging the floating player.